Wednesday, September 19, 2007

So far so good

I was a little upset Monday. I am actually down -1.4 pounds from the weigh in for The Biggest Family Loser competition that started two weeks ago. So I am NOT gaining. I overlooked some important facts on why I am not dropping yet. I just didn't want to go back into that gain loss cycle again and I am determined not too. It freaked me out a bit. Here are some reasons why I don't thinking I'm dropping right now.

1. PMS. Do I need to say anymore?
2. I've thrown my body into shock between the normal calorie loss from dieting and jumping right into vigourous exercise.
Weight Watchers (WW) suggests waiting 3 weeks to allow your body to adjust to the dieting phase before adding exercise.
3. I changed dieting focus in the middle of a week. My body and my mentality needed to adjust.

CAUTION: I ramble so if you don't want to know about the ups and downs of my thought processes on deciding my calorie intake, skip this section. I'll let you know when its safe.

I've been stressing off and on since April about my calorie intake. You see, WW changed their points system (calorie intake). For my weight, I used to be at 1600 calories or 32 points. Well, with the new system I was supposed to consume 1900 calories or 38 points. After a week or two of that I decided to go back to the old way. Then their was the activity point factor. On WW, you get extra points (calories) to eat if you exercise. Because of my weight and the intensity of my workouts I was gaining like 14-16 extra points (700-800 calories) a day. That is an insane amount of food when you add it to 38 points. Well, it seems that way when you're dieting. Needless to say I had no idea what I was supposed to be eating. Sometimes I was afraid I was eating to much and other times not enough. Neither is good for you. I was even questioning my workout routine even though I knew I was right on.

I stepped on the scale last Wed after being so good and noticed that I was gaining. So that whole workout I was really seeking God's direction for my dieting needs. I came up with small solutions but nothing that would really answer my questions. I had to go to Walmart after that workout and I was roaming the isles of the book area when The Biggest Loser diet book literally jumped off the shelf at me. I was like why not, these people are in the exact same place that I am in and the amount of weight lost every season is huge. We are also doing a competition called The Biggest Family Loser. It seemed appropriate. I started flipping through the book and skimming it. It answered all the questions that I had. From dieting, to food consuption, to exercise. I was so excited. I purchased the book. So here is my new game plan.

IT'S SAFE TO START READING HERE

1. Calorie intake: 2100 (42 points) a day and no extra calories for working out. I do have to say that I listen to my body
signals. If I am hungry and I have had all of my calories for the day, worked out, had some water, chewed some
gum and waited awhile and the feeling is still there, then I will eat something small.
2. 60 min of cardio. I was doing that right. After 4 weeks i will be adding circuit training. I will be joining Curves in addition
to my current gym membership. It sucks to pay for two gyms but will be well worth it in the end. I am going broke on
dieting but its for a good cause, ME.
3. What I am eating. I was doing that right too. What I was doing is pretty close to right on for me. I am just making a
few minor adjustments.

Do you have any comments or suggestions for me?

6 comments:

Alicia said...

I just have to say that I am SUPER proud of you!! Anyone that reads this...know THIS...shanny is doing an amazing job and you need to keep encouraging her!! Shanny i am proud of you and movtivated by your discipline!!

Shannon said...

Thanks love. Muah.

Anonymous said...

It sure sonds like it! I think you are inspiring!

Brian and Julie Woolery said...

hey shannon... i also agree that you are doing a fabulous job... it just takes so much determination and you are sticking with it - way to go! i'm cheering for you in your family weight loss competition. :) and i'll be interested to see what you think of curves... I did curves for a little while in Guam and I liked it, but I just didn't stick with it... but sometimes the music can get annoying... it just depends on what kind they are using. ;) have fun! love ya!

Sukhaloka said...

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head this time. Congratulations! Keep listening to your body, and do what it tells you. :).

One thing I ALWAYS do when the "gotta-lose-weight" bug bites is to eat slowly, and stop eating once I stop feeling hungry hungry. Even if it means eating every hour or two. The extra drops off in weeks. And I hope you're having lots of healthy food, though seems like you know well enough what to eat and what not to!

Take care of yourself. Hugs.

Shannon said...

Thanks girls for all your love and support. It really means a lot to me.